Monday, October 19, 2009

Two weeks later


I have heard lots of rumours about the rotenone process. The wildest one was a statement in a local newspaper column that most of the fish that floated to the top were scooped up, frozen and will be fed to the eagles next year. I wonder how many will believe that one? The same author wrote that the lake will be restocked in 2012; I guess he never checked with the Ministry people who are planning to restock in the spring of 2010.

The aroma of dead fish decomposing is noticeable at times, although much less than I had anticipated. If a person had not known what had happened two weeks ago, you would likely not have guessed. The sounds of geese, coots and other waterfowl are still present. Along the shoreline I see a few dead perch in the shallows.

I have heard of no sightings of live fish. I was talking to a neighbour today who told me he had a huge goldfish - shaped almost like an orange football - wash ashore at his place. Another neighbour told me that the scientists told him that they will probably not know whether this project was successful in eradicating all the perch and bass for about five years.


Here's a photo of the beautiful fall day that we had today.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be published after moderation.